Allen Custom Frame’s origins date back to 1912 when Harry Allentuck. a Russian-Jewish immigrant, first opened his doors for business on Green Street in Worcester, Massachusetts. The store initially was a photography studio. Harry soon added picture framing to augment his income.
In 1931, Harry Allentuck moved his family and business to Washington, D.C. where it settled at 800 F Street, N.W. ( now home to the spy museum). Harry moved the store to the Atlas building, 527 9th street N.W. the following year. Harry died in March, 1948. His son, Lester, who had worked with Harry since 1940, took over the reigns of the business. The store flourished under Lester as he added government and commercial accounts. In 1981, Lester passed away and his son, Gary assumed ownership. The following year Gary’s brother-in-law came into the business. In 1997, Allen Custom Frame & Sports Gallery (as it was known at the time) moved to it’s current location, 4620-C Wisconsin Ave, N.W. In February 2007, Gary Allentuck sold the 3rd generation family business to another Harry: Harry Biscarr, who has continued in the finest tradition of this nearly 100 year business: Quality and Service!